How can I help you?
My expertise is in:
- Giving straightforward advice you can understand
- Dealing with challenging behaviour from spouses including false allegations
- Combating manipulative behaviour from parents aimed at damaging your relationship with your children (parental alienation)
- Helping you understand fully the family’s financial situation, especially if you haven’t been involved with this before
- Helping you plan for your future
- Protecting you financially
- Presenting a clear and firm case to get what you’re entitled to
- Sorting out arrangements for children
- Solving both complex and more straightforward divorce cases involving all levels of assets
- Working with you to keep costs down
Why should you meet with me?
- Passionate about understanding what’s important to you
- Thorough and good with detail
- Supportive and will work with you to make the process as easy as possible
- Used to dealing firmly with difficult individuals
- Committed to getting back to you quickly and keeping you updated
- Human! You can talk to me about anything that’s worrying you
Why family law?
I have a real passion for helping people and I have always found that in my personal life people naturally turn to me for advice. I understand that, for many people, like going to the dentist the thought of going to see a solicitor can be nerve-wracking. It can be hard to talk about how you are feeling at an emotional time such as divorce, so I make sure people feel at ease and to help them take control of their future.
I enjoy working in an area of law where I can empower people by providing straightforward and concise advice that they can understand.
Everyone’s personal and financial situations are different, and I love the challenge of finding solutions that meet their individual goals.
What do my clients and others say about me?
- “Laura Mounsey and Emma Doughty are both highly dedicated family lawyers, both with excellent deep-listening skills and both strong strategists. They walk by the side of their clients and counsel them carefully throughout.” (Legal 500 2022 edition)
- “Emma has been tremendous and incredibly supportive throughout.”
- “…impeccable client care and attention to detail. It is safe to assume that when I meet one of Emma’s clients they have already been given sound and realistic advice, in a sensitive manner if required. She is a joy to work with and very friendly too!”
- “…very calm and professional manner which in turn resulted in a very positive outcome. [She] is an outstanding solicitor and is a credit to Harrogate Family Law. [She] supported me right throughout the process without waiver.”
- “She helped explain the divorce process, what to expect and helped me to fairly deal with matters… [She was] always there to help.”
What do others say about Harrogate Family Law?
- “‘Top-rate solicitor’ Emma Doughty and the ‘unflappable’ Laura Mounsey are stand-out team members.” (Legal 500 2022 edition)
- “Extremely client-focused – I really felt like they had my best interests at heart. Their attention to detail and their ability to remember every bit of the case was astonishing.” (client comment in Chambers 2019 edition)
- “They were very efficient and well on top of the job.” (client comment in Chambers 2019 edition)
- “Their documents are detailed and thorough and their preparation for court is excellent, with sensible advice given to clients.” (barrister comment in Chambers 2019 edition)
- “Harrogate Family Law is a dynamic family law practice with a good reputation in Yorkshire and beyond. The small and dedicated team genuinely cares about its clients and the issues affecting them. It pays huge attention to detail, offers high-quality advice and an enormous amount of support.” (Legal 500 2020 edition)
- “The best in Harrogate for financial proceedings arising from divorce.” (Legal 500 2017 edition)
- “Clients single out the firm’s diligence in ‘leaving no stone unturned; its very quick response times, detailed knowledge and thorough approach amounts to a first-rate level of service.” (Legal 500 2017 edition)