We deal with many cases involving SME’s and businesses. The impact on a business of a marriage breakdown can be significant:
- It can be difficult to focus on your work while you are dealing with the emotional fallout of your separation. This can affect financial performance, the value of the business and the level of your income.
- The business interest may well be an asset to be considered in the financial settlement.
- If the business is run as a joint venture by both of you, the future of the business will need to be decided
Continue reading “How do I “divorce-proof” my business?”
Taking the decision to separate is not an easy one and the added complexity of living in the same home can make the situation feel unbearable.
Continue reading “Can I get my ex out of the family home?”
We understand that the prospect of divorce, if you are financially dependent on your spouse, can be scary and seem impossible. You might be wary of obtaining legal advice because you are unsure how you will pay for it.
Continue reading “Financial dependency: Are you worried you can’t afford to get divorced?”
When you are going through financial proceedings during your divorce, there can be two types of court order:
- One which sets out the terms of the financial settlement and is either agreed by the parties or imposed by the judge and usually comes at the end of the proceedings; and
- Within the proceedings, there can be case management orders setting out the documents or information required to progress to a final settlement.
Continue reading “Could ignoring a court order in your divorce land you in prison?”
We would always recommend that you talk to a specialist family lawyer as soon as possible when you are thinking about whether or not to divorce.
Many people delay things, often because they think they can sort a lot of issues out themselves and save money.
Continue reading “How soon should I instruct a divorce lawyer?”
The word narcissist is thrown around quite a lot, but what is a narcissist and how can you spot one? We have put together a few signs that could help you recognise if you have one living in your own home.
Continue reading “5 signs that you might be married to a narcissist”
Recent coverage about speeding up the divorce process by using fixed fee digital services raises lots of questions about the pros and cons.
Continue reading “Is online divorce really cheaper than a solicitor?”
Divorce is a very difficult time for anyone and you need to have the best legal support on you side. Here are some helpful things you need to know:
Continue reading “5 things we want you to know”
A common misconception in divorce is that a financial claim cannot be made once a Decree Absolute has been granted. In reality there is no limitation period for bringing a financial claim after divorce and there have been a number of very high-profile cases recently where financial claims have been brought many years after the marriage had ended.
Continue reading “I’m divorced so my money is safe now. Right? Wrong.”
Divorcing couples are becoming increasingly aware that it is in their best interests to obtain a clean break when they split up. This is to prevent any future claims on either party’s wealth or earnings and can be agreed at the time of divorce.
Continue reading “What is a clean break and how do I get one?”