The very first thing to do is to get legal advice from an expert family law solicitor. The law now presumes that each parent’s involvement in their child’s life will benefit them. However, the child’s best interests are always the priority of the courts, so the other parent may try to show that contact isn’t in their best interests. Your lawyer will usually get in touch with the parent denying contact, or with his or her solicitor, to determine if a resolution can be reached. Your solicitor will give you advice about the alternatives to court and, if necessary, tell you how to make a court application.