There can be genuinely held concerns about the welfare of the children whilst away on holiday and, if so, it is right that these are investigated so that there can be confidence that the children will be safe.
However, issues over the holidays often stem from jealousy and insecurity on the part of the other parent. This can be because they are not able to afford a holiday; they don’t want the children to enjoy themselves with the other parent; there may be a new partner involved; or they just want to hurt the other parent as much as they are hurting.
Practical steps you can take
You can take the following steps:
- Be prepared to address the other parent’s anxieties by providing details of the flight, accommodation and facilities together with care and sleeping arrangements.
- Ensure any disagreements about holiday arrangements are kept away from the children.
- Ascertain the children’s wishes but remain supportive and respectful of their other parent.
If you still cannot agree over holiday arrangements, then read on to see how Harrogate Family Law can help.
Please do not take your children abroad without the consent of the other parent or you may be breaking the law.
It can be a criminal offence to take the children out of the country without the permission of the court or the other parent. Even if the holiday is in this country, taking the children away without the other parent’s consent can lead to severe anxiety on the part of the other parent, whether it is reasonable or not. It could lead to the police being contacted and/or badly impact on the future arrangements for you seeing your children.
How we can help?
- Diffuse what can be a highly emotional situation and put the focus back on your children.
- Be an independent third party who can reason with the other parent and gain cooperation to help achieve a positive outcome.
- Advise as to alternative methods of resolving holiday issues including, although usually not necessary, an application to Court. Court is, however, always a last resort with 95% of our cases resolved outside of Court.
It is important that you contact us as soon as possible if you are having problems with holiday arrangements. Please don’t feel there is nothing you can do because we can help you.
Call us today on 01423 594680.
Andrew Meehan is an experienced family lawyer specialising in complex divorces involving significant or hidden assets, as well as cases involving children.
He is recommended for family law by both Chambers 2019 (York, Hull and surrounding regions) and the Legal 500 2018 (Leeds/West Yorkshire and North Yorkshire region).
Everyone’s circumstances are different and this article is provided by way of general information only and must not be relied upon. If you require legal advice on a family law issue, please feel free to contact us by emailing email@example.com.