Domestic Violence – If there has been violence or abuse from your spouse towards you or your children then a court can order your spouse to leave the house. Come and talk to us immediately if this is the case and we will advise you of the most appropriate course of action – Andrew Meehan is a Resolution-accredited specialist in domestic abuse cases.

Children – The other main consideration tends to be when children are involved. Couples often agree to allow one parent to remain in the family home with the children in the short-term to ensure that the children are protected from conflict. However, you should not move out without having had legal advice first because this can set a precedent and make it more difficult for you to see the children as much as you might like in the future.