Your options are likely to be:

  • One person can buy the other out and keep the house in return for other assets
  • The property can be sold and the proceeds divided – but not necessarily equally
  • Another option is to agree to defer any sale of the property until the children have grown up and left home. The problem with this it can be difficult for the departing spouse to obtain a new mortgage for another property. There can also be tax issues.