My ex won’t let me see my children over Christmas. What can I do?

When parents separate there can be issues over the arrangements for children and, in particular, how your children’s time will be divided on special occasions such as Christmas.

We understand that any discussions about your children, especially when it comes to Christmas, can be upsetting.  We are here to help and ensure that the interests of your children are put first.

What you can do

  • Don’t argue in front of your children. Christmas is a magical time for children and whilst you may be upset or angry whilst trying to sort out arrangements, it is important that this is kept away from the children.
  • Be realistic. It is likely that, aside from you and your ex wanting to spend time with your children, wider family members will too, such as grandparents, aunts and uncles.  It is important to remember this when trying to discuss arrangements and not expect to monopolise all of your children’s time over the festive period.
  • Act early. If you are not getting anywhere, it is important to take expert family law advice as early as possible.

What we can do to help

We are specialist family lawyers and can help in a number of ways because we can:

  • Diffuse what can be a highly emotional situation and put the focus back on your children so that you can reach a resolution.
  • Be a third party who can reason with the other parent and encourage cooperation to help achieve a positive outcome.
  • Advise about alternative methods of resolving the issues over the festive period.
  • Resolve the situation if you just cannot agree.

If you are worried that you are not going to have the opportunity to spend time with your children over the festive period, it is important that you contact us as soon as possible.  Please don’t feel that there is nothing you can do about your situation, because we can help you.

To see how Harrogate Family Law can help you, give us a call now on 01423 594680.

Andrew Meehan is an experienced family lawyer specialising in complex divorces involving significant or hidden assets, as well as cases involving children.

He is recommended for family law by both Chambers 2019 (York, Hull and surrounding regions) and the Legal 500 2018 (Leeds/West Yorkshire and North Yorkshire region).

Everyone’s circumstances are different and this article is provided by way of general information only and must not be replied upon.  If you require legal advice on a family law issue, please feel free to contact us by emailing